Cancer Rehabilitation and Survivorship
The American Cancer Society and National Cancer Institute estimate there
are 16.9 million cancer survivors in the United States as of January 1,
2019. They project an increase to 22 million by the year 2030. The number
of cancer survivors continues to increase in the United States because
of the growth and aging of the population as well as advances in early
detection and treatment.
Every cancer patient and survivor deserve the highest quality care, including
cancer rehabilitation. Cancer rehabilitation is a program that treats
the unique needs of cancer survivors before, during and after cancer treatment
to help reduce the effects of cancer and cancer related treatments.
Through our Cancer Rehabilitation and Survivorship program, cancer patients
and survivors are given the tools and resources they need to optimize
healing so they can maximize their function, improve their overall quality
of life and emotional well being.
Conditions We Treat
Our team specializes in helping patients and survivors cope with a wide
variety of conditions and symptoms which they may face following cancer
diagnosis and treatments. These may include:
- Decreased Ability to Perform Daily Activities
- Decreased Energy and Fatigue
- Decreased Joint Range of Motion
- Scar Conditions
- Balance/Walking Difficulties
- Swelling (Lymphedema/edema)
- Pelvic Floor /Sexual Health Dysfunction
- Osteoporosis or Low Bone Density
- Impaired Cognition
- Swallowing Problems
- Impaired Speech
- Impaired Sleep
- Anxiety, Stress, and/or Depression
- Weight Loss/Gain
Services We Provide
- Manual Therapy to Address Soft tissue, Scar and Joint Restrictions
- Individualized Prescriptive Exercise Program to Restore Range of Motion,
Strength and Endurance
- Energy Conservation and Fatigue Management
- Mobility Retraining
- Pain Management
- Stress Management and Sleep Training
- Fall Risk Assessment/Fall Prevention and Balance Training
- Lymphedema Risk Reduction Education
- Lymphedema and Edema Management
- Cognitive/Safety Assessment and Intervention
- Swallowing Assessment and Intervention
- Bowel/Bladder Management
- Return to Work and Activities of Daily Living Retraining
Why Use Our Service
Improve Your Function:
- Improving mobility and building strength and endurance will help you to
maintain and restore an active lifestyle
Regain Your Independence:
- We match your needs and goals with the right rehabilitation plan so you
can recover sooner and stronger.
Improve Your Wellbeing:
- Recovering from cancer and cancer treatments requires a whole person approach.
We are here to guide and empower you to maximize the quality of your life.
Barb Kaiser, PT, CLT, CIDN
Barb grew up in Vermont and graduated in 1980 from the University of Vermont
with a Bachelor of Science in Physical Therapy.
Barb spent many years travelling and exploring the country with her husband
in their RV and even lived on a sailboat before settling in the Gunnison
Valley in 2000. She completed her Lymphedema Therapist Certification from
Klose Training & Consulting, LLC in 2011 and her Certification in
Integrative Dry Needling from the IDN Institute in 2019. Barb is trained
in the Graston Technique and has a strong manual therapy background that
includes neuromuscular and myofascial therapies.
Barb specializes in Cancer rehabilitation, TMJ dysfunction, Orthopedic
and Spine rehabilitation.
She enjoys the return to a mountain community and has a deep love of the
outdoors: hiking, mountain biking, x-country skiing and snowshoeing. The
arrival of bluebirds, wildflowers and traveling bring great joy. She likes
to dabble in photography, gardening and Qigong.
Gunnison Valley Health Rehabilitation and Athletic Medicine Services
711 North Taylor Street | Gunnison, CO 81230 | 970-641-7248
Gunnison Valley Health Cancer Treatment Services
711 North Taylor Street | Gunnison, CO 81230 | 970-641-4773